Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pears

 I've mentioned this before, but when we bought our house, it came with a few fruit trees, pears being one of them. Since we have lived here though, about six years now, we've never gotten more than a handful of pears. Every year the tree put out loads of blossoms, and every year they are lost to a late freeze.This year they survived and I believe that tree is trying to make up for lost time. The tree is so loaded that we had to tie up the branches with rope so they wouldn't break. I went out and picked a basket full and preserved them in light syrup. The pears are still a little under ripe, but that is what you want, otherwise they won't withstand the canning process. Ripe pears are good for making pear sauce. I'm sure I will be making plenty of that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment