Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Natural Flavors"

I was reading the back of a soup mix label today, and all of the ingredients looked good...I could pronounce them all, and knew what they all were...and then I came to they very last one, 'other natural flavors.' I started thinking about this. I always read the labels of things before I buy them (as should you!) and I really do notice that particular ingredient a lot. Even on organic items. I wondered, what exactly are 'natural flavors?' Well here it is...

"The term natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional."

This information came from The Vegetarian Resource Group, which also had a lot of other interesting information. Most of it pertaining to vegetarians, but still good to know for those of us conscientious of what is in our foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment